Sunday, November 11, 2012

Briefly Back to the Bubble.

This week was a very good week, because I got to go home!!!

As explained in my last post, I had a shorter working week and so on Wednesday, I packed my bags, headed to Munich and flew back to the UK!

I didn't get in until pretty late Wednesday evening, but always love the feeling of walking off the plane and into the airport, and all the signs etc are back in English. Even though you're still not home, you feel so much more at home already. By the time I'd actually made it home and had a cup of tea with my parents, they headed to bed. I stayed up to catch up on some quality British television, such as Take Me Out, and The Only Way Is Essex. Incredible.

My mother had been in general motherly organisation mode and so the next morning I was booked in for both the dentist and hairdressers. Despite this meaning I didn't get a lie-in, I was actually pretty glad as it meant I wouldn't have to attempt these in German. Although having said that, I did have to go to the dentist in France over the summer as I had some issues with one of my wisdom teeth coming through. I didn't actually have to do that much though, as one of my colleagues had taken me under her wing and organised it all for me. However, I did find that French dentists are not as gentle as their English colleagues...

My mum had also cooked my favourite Tomato and Lentil soup for lunch (so good to be back!), so I had that quickly. By then it was already time to go to the train station to continue my whirlwind tour of the UK and head up to Durham! I arrived there mid-afternoonish, met Steve at the train station and went back to his.  Relatively speaking, his house really isn't that bad, but I must say that I'm quite glad not to be living in student accommodation again this year! As I'd had such a quick turn-over between Paris and Salzburg, and only really had time to pack another suitcase before I was off again, it had been nearly 3 months since I'd seen him properly (a definite downside to this whole Year Abroad malarky), so it was amazing to catch up, but not be on Skype! We went out for dinner to a rustic little restaurant called 'Mrs Mustard', and both had steak and chips which was lovely.



Continuing the Mexican theme from the week before, I met with the usuals for a girly lunch at Chiquito's on Friday. It was so nice to catch up with everyone, and felt a bit like I'd never been away! I went for the full three courses, and so was very full at the end. It definitely felt that we were 'ladies that lunch', as we were there for about four hours laughing, drinking and chatting. Afterwards we all headed off and saw that Starbucks had started their Christmas drinks and were doing a 'Buy One Get One Free' promotion so popped in there quickly as well.



To continue the food theme of the weekend, Steve and I ordered a Chinese takeway, including duck and seaweed, our favourites! I've really been craving a Chinese, as I've only had one since starting the Year Abroad, which was when Katy aka fellow gremlin/partner in crime stayed an extra night in Paris and we ordered one (to the sixth floor of an apartment block with no lift... poor delivery man!). Unfortunately the Chinese was not to be, and it took so long to come (an hour and 45 minutes!), that we were already heading out by the time it arrived. My craving has definitely not been satisfied, so a visit to a Chinese is firmly on the to-do list in Salzburg now.

We went to Varsity to meet the group there and had a nice couple of hours chatting with everyone. Again, so nice to catch up and it really made me realise how different my year is going to be than if I were still in Durham.

On Saturday I had a lazy morning, went for lunch at Cafe Continental (for non-Durhamers it's the epitomy of a cafe, serves absolutely everything that a cafe should, and has such a massive menu that it takes twice as long as normal to decide!) and had a very nice lunch there. We went back, had time to watch the film 'Ted', and it was already time to catch my train home. Again, I got home pretty late, so after a cup of tea with the parents got another chance to catch up on some TV.

On Sunday it was already time to head back to Austria and I couldn't believe how quickly the visit had gone. Luckily it won't be too long before I see either my family or Steve again, and this time it'll be on my new home territory here, so I'm looking forward to that already. My mum has also given me a 'Salzburg' guide book, so I've got no excuses for not putting together a great itinerary for when they come! They'll both be here in time for the Christmas markets, and I'm also very tempted to throw in a hike so they can experience the real 'Austrian culture'...

1 comment:

  1. I'm soo up the a chinese with you, Alice! Tim and I went to a buffet the other day which didnt quite fill the void!

    ReplyDelete